B&S Tech Stack
Our list of tech and apps that we think all businesses should consider
PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND COLLABORATION
- Trello https://trello.com/
- I think of my working life in two stages - Before Trello and After Trello :) This is by far my favourite project management tool I have ever used. Flexible, collaborative and for the most part, free.
- Slack https://slack.com/
- Airtable https://airtable.com/
- A database like MS Access, only online, easier on the eye and much better to use.
- Smart Sheets https://www.smartsheet.com/
- Box https://www.box.com/
- We use this for all of our internal files and prefer it to Dropbox because of the advanced security features.
- Dashlane https://www.dashlane.com/
- Password management system to help manage log-ins for your apps. This saves me at least five minutes per day.
- Lastpass https://www.lastpass.com/
- Similar to Dashlane, a password management application.
- Nord VPN https://nordvpn.com/
- The market leader for VPN technology providing secure and private internet access for you and your team. Essential for the cloud based environment that we operate in. Most anti-virus packages will also have a secure VPN bolt-on (we use Norton WiFi Security).
- Chaser https://chaserhq.com/
- Automate your debt collection process, enabling you to collect cash from customers faster.
- Fathom https://www.fathomhq.com/
- Create management reports and dashboards from your Xero data.
- Quotient https://www.quotientapp.com/
- Impress potential clients with great looking quotes; provides many more features than the native quote function within Xero.
- Rescue Time https://www.rescuetime.com/
- The official time keeping system for Barnes & Scott. We use this to help understand our working patterns and habits. Helps us stay focussed, productive and on track.
- Toggl https://toggl.com/
- Similar to Rescue Time. I would recommend trialling both and seeing which one works for you.
- Tomato Timer https://tomato-timer.com/
- For fans of the Pomodoro working methods :)
- GoCardless https://gocardless.com/
- If you are a client of ours you will no doubt have used this to pay our bills. Flexible software to allow you to easily collect direct debit or one-off payments from customers. Fees of only 1% per transaction, capped at £2. Far cheaper than most of its competitors, they do however hold on to your money for a few days longer than most which can sometimes affect cash flow.
- Stripe https://stripe.com/
- Payment collection service for online businesses. Can be integrated with Xero via Zapier.
- Zapier https://zapier.com/
- Automate your life without learning how to write code :) We use this for integrating lots of different parts of the business, e.g. Stripe to Xero, Trello to Rescue Time, Xero to Google Sheets etc.
- Transferwise https://transferwise.com/
- Reduced fees for foreign currency payments and optimal exchange rates. From the founding members of Skype, now one of UK's biggest fin-tech companies. Secure, fast and transparent. They once asked us for a quote :)
- CharlieHR https://charliehr.com/
- HR software to manage your employees, including holidays, sick days and the on-boarding process. We use this internally for managing our own HR function. Free for small teams and GDPR compliant.